Aqueduct

Originally in The Oklahoma Daily on October 3rd, 2007.


Oklahoma isn’t necessarily the best place for a band to make it into the music industry. Some bands think they might be better off by moving to more music-centric places like Austin, Portland or New York. One of those bands is Tulsa’s Aqueduct, which has found success since moving to Seattle in 2003, and is slated to play at the Conservatory tonight in Oklahoma City.

“I like them because they blend techno beats, indie styles, rock and pop into songs that are fun to sit and listen to in my dorm room, while I’m working out or on my long drives home to Tulsa,” University College freshman Claire Schroepfer said. “The songs are catchy, with great harmonies and random noises in the middle. I love it.”

Aqueduct began as a one-man act, with lead man David Terry recording everything in his bedroom. As the band progressed, it slowly added members.

Terry says that the main reason he chose to relocate was to make touring easier.

“My moving was kind of an experiment,” Terry said. “When I got Aqueduct going, I decided I wanted to do everything myself, very DIY. There were some disadvantages being from the middle of nowhere in the Midwest. I tried to tour as much as I could, but found myself just able to do it in surrounding states.

“The west coast was calling my name. I’d introduce myself to that area, and bridge the two regions together and expand my tours. I moved at the end of 2003, and got the attention of a booking agent up there. Shortly thereafter, I got hooked up with [record label] Barsuk.”

Despite moving away, Terry says he loves to come back to Oklahoma to play shows.

“Ever since I have moved away, I found a heart-grows-fonder mentality,” Terry said. “When I lived in Tulsa, the crowds were spread thin because I played so often, but now that I come back only a couple times a year, there are a couple hundred people. I’m glad people still want to support me.”

When Terry started, Tulsa didn’t have the opportunities for musicians that are present now.

“Not having record stores and things like that made us hungry for music,” Terry said. “It kind of heightened my creativity being starved for it. Now that the internet is around, I have noticed it’s made more people more creative. More venues are popping up: Conservatory, Cain’s, Under the Mooch. I have seen a lot of cool stuff like that pop up in this millennium.”

top